Now… the second article that I read and can’t let go was from Barry over at Seroundtable.com and had to do with the “penguin update”. My beef isn’t with Barry it’s with the individual he quoted within his article. For your convenience here is the transcript of an individual complaining about the update in the Google help forums
I am now scrambling to figure out how I am going to: pay my daughters tuition pay my car payment pay my health insurance pay my car insurance pay rent and all the utilities that go along with renting a house not to mention putting food on the table.
I followed your good webmasters guidelines and done nothing spammy at all about my businesses and websites and I get shut down and put out like that.
SHAME ON YOU GOOGLE! SHAME ON YOU MATT CUTTS!
As if it weren’t hard enough to find a regular type job, even with my education and background, now this.
All this and in a time of bad economy, how could you do this to YOUR America? Instead of trying to help build the economy your making it worse.
Seriously!? I don’t want to come off as an arrogant individual who doesn’t feel for another webmaster but this person sounds like a little whiner. Google doesn’t owe you, me or anyone else a damn thing. How arrogant is this individual to blame his problems on Google?
This person claims that they have “done nothing spammy at all” but I would love an opportunity to look at this persons website. I can guarantee they did something wrong. Thin content, paid links cause they don’t know how to do it right, shitty links, over optimized anchor text, etc etc I can go on. I’ll also tell you something, arrogance isn’t an excuse. They claim they didn’t do anything wrong and i’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that THEY believe this. However a lot of webmaster these days go around building links and websites as a whole treating SEO the way it was done 10 years ago. Just because you don’t know better doesn’t make you immune to Google’s wrath.
Even if they can rationalize everything I outlined above I would ask them why in the world aren’t they diversifying their income? It’s just plain stupid to rely on Google 100% (or anyone for that matter) to support yourself and your family. For instance just a few different ways I make money are below:
- Full time SEO consultant job with an agency.
- Take on SEO clients via the NickLeRoy.com website.
- Personal websites monetized with Adsense
- Personal websites monetized with Affiliate offers.
- Personal websites monetized with private advertisements
Now granted the above mentioned income is based heavily off Google but if one income source were to disappear I would still be able to pay my mortgage and feed my family. Even if Google disappeared completely tomorrow I should be able to react and adapt to the next big traffic generator whether it be Yahoo/Bing or Facebook. My intentions are not to gloat or to say I’m better then anyone the example is truly just to illustrate the value in diversifying your online income. I think it’s absolutely ridiculous for anyone to blame their tactics, income or even misfortunes on Google.
Now because i’m not a complete jerk I want to offer this individual a couple suggestions. Granted I don’t know the whole situation but here is just a couple idea’s for what you can look into to “fix” your situation.
- Start up PPC. You obviously were making money from your site and have an ROI. You currently make nothing so it would be your best interest to invest in some PPC or other advertising to supplement your traffic.
- Heavily research the reasons why “Panda” and “Penguin” have been taking down so many sites. Be honest and tear a part your site looking for flaws.
- Re-evaluate your sites links and if you see any that look fishy see if you can get them removed.
- Consider purchasing a new domain and moving your content over. I would only do this if you think your absolutely screwed and can’t fix any existing issues.
- Go work at Taco Bell. As a family man myself I wouldn’t sit by and watch my family starve as this individual claims Googles changes will do. There are a lot of people worse off than you and I and they truly are doing everything they can to support their family. Who cares what you think your education entails you, go get a job (any job – have you looked into SEO for a local agency since your have an idea of what SEO is?) and fix all your sites issue on your “off time”.
Remember – Google doesn’t owe you shit, whether you like it or not. If it we’re true please forward to Mr. Google that I have been eyeballing one of the new 5.0 Mustang GT’s and I only need $30,000 this month in my Adsense account to pick it up. K? Thnx!